Arabic-L:LING:New Arabic-English Dictionary

Wed Jul 25 19:19:45 UTC 2012

1) Subject:New Arabic-English Dictionary

Date: 25 Jul 2012
From:Benjamin Hoffiz <hoffiz.ben at gmail.com>
Subject:New Arabic-English Dictionary

Dear Interested Friends and Colleagues:

This is to contact you about the new Arabic dictionary I have written.  The
reason is to get the word out, and to inquire if you would like to avail
yourselves of it.  Because of the size and bulk of the printed version,
inquiries for
electronically-delivered sample pages are welcomed.  The material I have
prepared is shown below for your convenience.
Please tell me what you think.  Thank you.

--->  Special Note:  The title has been changed, as below:

1. Title:  *Arabic-English Concise Research and Translation Dictionary*,
ISBN:
9781581528992.  Written by:  Benjamin T. Hoffiz, III, Assistant
Professor, Arabic, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, AZ.
 E-mail:  hoffizb at erau.edu, hoffiz.ben at gmail.com

2. How to Order Sample Pages:  Contact the Publisher:  Copley Custom
Textbooks/ XanEdu.  Contact
Information:  cust.serv at xanedu.com, 800-218-5971, 734-302-6500, Also:
Dianne Michalek, 734-302-6770, dmichalek at xanedu.com.  Or contact me
directly, and I can send you a PDF of selected pages.

3. Abstract:
This is a new Arabic-English root-based dictionary intended for the
current user.  In it, most of the vocabulary items an
intermediate-advanced student and/or scholar of Arabic will encounter
are clearly listed, glossed, and explained.  Student demand has called
for this new resource.  Academic, military and security-related users
shall find this an effective and very useful new tool.

4. Significant Contributions:
a.About 7,500 Arabic entries are entered by Arabic root.  English
glosses and definitions are amply provided.

b.All Arabic entries are fully-vocalized, in 24 point Geeza Pro Arabic
font, for maximum clarity and readability.

c.Clear Listing of each Entry.  Each Arabic root is preceded by an
asterisk, and is listed in alphabetical order.  For convenience and
accessibility, transliterated Roman equivalents follow the Arabic root
listings in brackets.

d.More than 2,000 roots are listed.

e.Derived forms of verbs, participles, nouns, are listed explicitly.
(I.e., Form 5, Word-Medial Vowel).

e.Irregular forms of verbs are listed explicitly.  (I.e., Word-Initial
Glide, Word-Final Geminate).

f.For the Arabic entry database, the main sources used are current
(web-based), Arabic news media articles and editorials, in addition to
classical and religious sources, Arabic novels, current Arabic
textbooks, and similar material.

g.Extensive explanation of the function of case-endings in verbal
sentences and in the `IDHaafah construction is also provided.  Thank
you.

Very truly yours,

Ben Hoffiz, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Arabic
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Prescott, Arizona  86301, 928-777-6918, 928-237-5177
hoffizb at erau.edu