Arabic-L:PEDA:CIL Academic Director Job, Oman

Thu Jun 14 14:13:42 UTC 2012

1) Subject:CIL Academic Director Job, Oman

Date: 13 Jun 2012
From: j.garfinkel at OMANCENTER.ORG
Subject:CIL Academic Director Job, Oman

*Job Announcement

*Academic Director, Sultanate of Oman*

The Center for International Learning (CIL) is recruiting for the
position of Academic Director of its study abroad program for the coming
academic year. The selected candidate will come on board in mid-July to
early August, and will work on our campus in Muscat, capital city of the
Sultanate of Oman.

CIL is a private American-Omani educational institution that provides
semester-long study abroad programs for students coming mainly from U.S.
colleges and universities, but also from Europe and Japan. We also offer
intensive Arabic language programs at all levels (both individual and
group), and programs to help students and professionals hone skills in
leadership, critical thinking and program management. Until recently our
staff was with World Learning/SIT, but as of May 1 the Center became an
independent organization. We offer the same programs on the same campus,
and all members of the staff continue on, including our renowned Arabic
language instructors who teach more than 225 students each year.

/Roles of the Academic Director (AD)/

Our study abroad program in Oman is on the semester model, running
fifteen weeks from early September through mid December, and from late
January through mid-May. The AD will hold an annual ten-month contract,
and his/her responsibilities will include the following:

.Full development and implementation of the curriculum and other
scholarly components of

the program,/Oman: Managing Modernity, Translating Traditions,/

.Recruiting visiting lecturers (mostly locally) for course modules,

.Teaching modules and facilitating workshops and discussions,

.Overseeing all academic planning for each semester, including group
trips and excursions,

.Providing an orientation week to familiarize students with Muscat, as
well as cultural

traditions of relevance, including dress and behavioral expectations
while guests in Oman,

.Overseeing the health and safety of students while in residence,

.Managing all student and program logistics, and interfacing with other
CIL staff as well as

U.S., Omani and other institutions, and

.Evaluating the academic progress of each student, and providing (as
needed by sending

institutions) written evaluations and/or letter grades.

/Required Education and Experience/

The Academic Director must have a Master's degree, and preferably a Ph.D
in relevant fields pertaining to the political economy of the Middle
East and/or the Gulf. Advanced Arabic language competency is desirable,
although a quick learner currently with Intermediate abilities will be
considered if other skills are strong.

Previous teaching experience is strongly desired, preferably with
university undergraduates. The position also requires someone with
strong scholarly knowledge of Oman and/or the Gulf and the ability to
interest and interact with students on a daily basis. Additional desired
skills and experience include management ability, experience in planning
and organizing, a love of learning, a sense of humor, and the capacity
to work in a leadership capacity as part of a team.

/Salary and Benefits/

The salary and benefits for this position are commensurate with
education and experience, and are geared to young professionals.

Please forward resumes to AcademicDirector at omancenter.org

Also, visit our website at www.omancenter.org

--
Judi Garfinkel, M.P.H.