Arabic-L:LING:arabiCorpus Update

Wed Jun 20 22:11:26 UTC 2012

1) Subject:arabiCorpus Update

Date: 19 Jun 2012
From:Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:arabiCorpus Update

This announcement is for arabiCorpus users, particularly those in the
middle of a project that relies on numerical counts.

When we collected the texts for the corpus originally, we were aware
that there were some duplicate articles but we retained them because
that is how they were archived on the Newspaper web-sites.  In other
words, sometimes that Ahram would post an article on a particular day,
and then simply repost it the next day (sometimes with minor changes
like in the title, or moving it from one section to another).  The
archives therefore has two separate entries with identical text.   We
recently decided to remove as many of the duplicate articles as
possible from these texts.

Therefore, if you have been using word counts for statistical
research, your results may be altered slightly after the change.
Therefore, we plan to wait to make the change until July 1, 2012. If
you urgently need more time to finish research with the existing data
or have any questions or concerns, please e-mail me immediately
(dil at byu.edu). Otherwise, we will proceed with the change as planned.
The Newspapers that will be affected are Ahram 1999, Thawra, and
AlGhad01. Another large section of AlGhad will also be added at that
time.

dil