Arabic-L:PEDA:Bard College Study Abroad Program in Abu Dis

Thu Mar 8 15:52:33 UTC 2012

Arabic-L: Thu 08 Mar 2012

1) Subject:Bard College Study Abroad Program in Abu Dis

Date: 08 Mar 2012
From:"Jennifer Kloes" <kloes at bard.edu>
Subject:Bard College Study Abroad Program in Abu Dis

Dear Colleagues:

As you may know, Bard College recently launched a new study abroad program
at the Al-Quds Bard College for Liberal Arts and Sciences located in Abu
Dis, located in the West Bank just outside of East Jerusalem.  May we ask
for your assistance in forwarding the following information to students who
might be interested in this unique study abroad opportunity?  Below please
find a brief program description.  Our next application deadline is April
1st for the Fall 2012 semester.

Al-Quds Bard Study Abroad Program

Abu Dis, West Bank, Palestine

This distinctive program offers intellectually curious students an
unparalleled academic experience: the chance to study abroad with
Palestinian students at a college dedicated to the pursuit of intellectual
inquiry, the promotion of critical thinking, and the open exchange of ideas
and opinions.  The Al-Quds College for the Liberal Arts and Sciences is at
the vanguard of liberal education in Palestine.  As a result, it is a
dynamic and intriguing location to spend a semester abroad.

Participants in the Al-Quds Bard Study Abroad Program will:

*       Attend academically challenging classes taught in a seminar style,
including courses analyzing a range of discourses surrounding the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict;
*       Build meaningful connections with Palestinian students, both inside
and outside of the classroom;
*       Sharpen Arabic language skills, acquiring the vocabulary necessary
to navigate daily life;
*       Undertake an internship, putting into practice theories and ideas
from readings and classroom debates; and
*       Live in Ramallah, a culturally vibrant Palestinian city, and
participate in cultural excursions.

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and are competitive.  We are
only accepting up to 5 students each seemster so interested students are
encouraged to apply in advance of the application deadline.  Our deadlines
are as follows:

April 1st = Fall Semester
November 1st = Spring Semester

More information on the program and how to apply can be found on our website
at:  www.alqudsbard.org/abroad

Best wishes,

Jennifer Kloes
Director of Recruitment / International Program Manager
Institute for International Liberal Education / Bard College
Tel:  (845) 758-7081
E-mail:  kloes at bard.edu