Arabic-L:GEN:Citizenship requirement in job ads

Thu Mar 8 15:52:43 UTC 2012

Arabic-L: Thu 08 Mar 2012

1) Subject:Citizenship requirement in job ads

Date: 08 Mar 2012
From:Uri Horesh <urihoresh at gmail.com>
Subject:Citizenship requirement in job ads

Dear Colleagues,

Several job ads on the list recently have included stipulations such as
"[employees] MUST be U.S. Citizens."

I would like to direct your attention to the United States Department of
Justice Best Practices for Online Job Postings:
http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/osc/htm/best_practices.php

In particular, allow me to quote the following passage:

> Do avoid making the assumption that only U.S. citizens are authorized to
work in the United States.

> Do avoid the following language in job postings:
>
>       • "Only U.S. Citizens"
>       • "Citizenship requirement"*
>       • "Only U.S. Citizens or Green Card Holders"
>       • "H-1Bs Only"
>       • "Must have a U.S. Passport"
>       • "Must have a green card"
> *UNLESS U.S. citizenship is required by law, regulation, executive order,
or government contract.

Given the DOJ policy stated above, unless U.S. citizenship is required by
law, regulation, executive order, or government contract, the stipulations
in ads of this sort are not only unfair and discriminatory, but may also be
unlawful.

Sincerely,

--
Uri Horesh