Arabic-L:AATA 50th Anniversary

Fri Nov 16 14:49:02 UTC 2012

1) Subject:AATA 50th Anniversary

Date: 16 Nov 2012
From:Elizabeth M. Bergman, Executive Director admin at aataweb.org
Subject:AATA 50th Anniversary

Dear AATA Members,

I look forward to seeing you next Saturday, 17 November, at the AATA
50th Anniversary.  The 50th Anniversary will take place at the Sheraton
Downtown Denver Hotel.

There is so much to celebrate.  There are AATA's many accomplishments
over the past 50 years and the remarkable efforts of all AATA members.
In addition, we will see the first issue of the AATA journal
/Al-'Arabiyya/ to be published in partnership with Georgetown University
Press.  And we will recognize the career of Mushira Eid, who will
receive the AATA Lifetime Achievement Award for 2012.

The events of the Celebration are as follows:

# 50th Anniversary Panel, Saturday, 11/17, 1-2:40pm, Plaza Ballroom A,
(Plaza-C):
# Considering Culture
The New ILR Description for Competence in Intercultural Communication,
Gerald Lampe; Teaching Culture: From Standards to Program Design and
Implementation, Nesrine Akhtarkhavari; Arabic Cultural Literacy:
Critical Issues in Teaching and Assessment, Salem Aweiss.
The Last Fifty Years of Arabic SLA: State of the Art and Future
Directions, Mohammad Alhawary
Moving to Advanced and Superior Level Arabic? Khaled AbuShama
Arabic Language Learning Best Practices, Ali Raddaoui.
# Business Meeting, 2:40-3pm, Plaza Ballroom A (Plaza-C)
# 50th Anniversary Reception and Poster Session

Friends and colleagues are welcome to attend the 50th Anniversary; it is
free and open to the public.

And, should you misplace this message, not to worry.  The complete
schedule of the AATA 50th Anniversary is available in the MESA program.
It does not appear in the regular schedule of panels, but in the list of
"Meetings in Conjunction."

I look forward to seeing you,

Elizabeth

--