Arabic-L:LING:Needs Arabic/English biliguals for research project

Fri Nov 16 14:48:45 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Needs Arabic/English biliguals for research project

Date: 16 Nov 2012
From:Lucie Knight <lucie.knight at fandm.edu>
Subject:Needs Arabic/English biliguals for research project

Dear all,

One of my students who is an Arabic student and Psychology major is
conducting a short survey targeting bilingual Arabic/English speakers as
part of a senior research project.  Any help will be greatly appreciated -
it will only take a few minutes of your time.  You'll find an explanation
of her project below.  Please contact Courtney Gregor
courtney.gregor at fandm.edu for further information.

Thanks for your time!

Lucie Knight
Director of the Arabic Program
Franklin & Marshall College

Courtney Gregor
Franklin & Marshall College
SPM499 Experiment

I am looking to test approximately 40 Arabic-English bilinguals, who have
Arabic as their primary language and English as their secondary language.
 It
is also fine if you are an Arabic-English bilingual whose first language is
English – I can sift through the data later to collect what I need. In my
past research, I have conducted a study utilizing an iPad where college
students came to my lab and were tested on the iPad; however, for
convenience purposes and the nature of this study, I am have created a
computer program that can be sent via email to the participants.

I specifically do research in the field of numerical cognition, which
assesses how individuals develop their arithmetic skills and competency.
 There
is evidence that how arithmetic augments cognition is also closely linked
with how language augments cognition, thus I would like to investigate how
individuals proficient in two languages [bilinguals] represent arithmetic
information. I would prefer to recruit participants that are 18+ years of
age and who have at least a medium or advanced level of proficiency in
their secondary language. If this not feasible, that is fine – at most, the
study will require you to know the Arabic numeral system and the English
numeral system.

  For the actual experiment, you will be comparing 2 numbers shown next to
each other on the computer screen, and then you will press a button on the
keyboard indicating which number is numerically larger. For example, if the
numbers 4 and 7 are shown on the screen, you will hit a button marking that
7 is the larger number.  Only two keys on the keyboard will be used for the
duration of the study.  You will use your left index finger to press the
‘s’ key if the number on the left of the screen is larger, and you will use
your right index finger to press the ‘k’ key if the number on the right of
the screen is larger.  The numbers will either be two English digits, two
Arabic digits, 1 Arabic digit and 1 English digit, or two groups of dots
[how many dots there are serves as the number – ex: a group of 3 dots vs. a
group of 6 dots; 6 dots is larger]. I will only use digits 1-9, excluding
number 5. The experiment will only require [at most] 20 minutes of your
time.  A debriefing letter will be sent to you after you have completed the
study, thanking you for your time and informing you of what my test aimed
to investigate. Also, a survey will be sent to you, asking demographic
information and educational background in writing, reading, and arithmetic.
I only request that you email me the survey when you complete it at your
convenience.  Any participation is much appreciated! Thank you.