Arabic-L:PEDA:Response to Placement Test query

Fri Nov 23 14:58:47 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Response to Placement Test  best practices query

Date: 23 Nov 2012
From:rehab eldeeb <r_eldeeb at aucegypt.edu>
Subject:Response to Placement Test query

Hi Meriem,

Hope you are doing fine . As far as I learned from an assessment course ,
in MCQ s the best number of choices is 4 , but 3 is also OK. Concerning the
example you gave , the choices don't have to be grammatically correct as
you examine the student's competence of a certain point , so s/he could be
able to decide whether this choice is grammatically correct or  not . In
addition, your 4th choice could be : الشركة الكبيرة  which is grammatically
correct . But it should have been explained the difference between شركة
كبيرة  and الشركة الكبيرة .

Concerning the authentic texts that we choose , I think I would keep names
and date of the article  as it is part of the text . In media for example
names are clues to guess meanings of other surrounding  words . Other
articles that talk about biography for example , names will play a cultural
role . Therefore , I believe that we should keep names . Still it depends
on what you want to test and what will make an article be used only once if
keeping the names . Further , I would suggest that sometimes you should use
a word instead of another to make a link between the vocabulary pool that
students know and the article .

Hope Meriem this helps and hope to see you soon again .

Best regards,

Rehab El Deeb