Arabic-L:GEN:OCR program responses

Wed Oct 10 13:26:22 UTC 2012

1) Subject:OCR program response
2) Subject:OCR program response

Date: 10 Oct 2012
From:Karen McNeil <karenlmcneil at gmail.com>
Subject:OCR program response

Regarding OCR programs:

I was also looking for an OCR program for my corpus work, and I found
that none of the ones I tried were able to deal at all well with my
materials.  (Which were good-quality printed books, but in dialect.)

I found that it was much more effective to use workers on Amazon Turk
for this kind of work.  I put up the material I needed transcribed,
with each page as a separate 'hit' which paid $0.20.  The work was
done very quickly (all the hits had been completed in a few hours),
and the batches that I accepted had almost perfect accuracy.

I don't know how many pages you have to do, and so if this would be
cost prohibitive at even such a low rate, but I had several hundred
pages transcribed this way with great success.

Good luck,
Karen McNeil