Arabic-L:LING:Jil Jadid 3 Conference CFP

Sat Sep 22 07:09:28 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Jil Jadid 3 Conference CFP

Date: 22 Sep 2012
From:"Al-Batal, Mahmoud M" <albatal at austin.utexas.edu>
Subject:Jil Jadid 3 Conference CFP

Call for Papers

 3rd Annual Jiil Jadiid Conference @ UT Austin

Dates: February 21-23, 2013

Location: The University of Texas at Austin

Abstract Deadline: November 15, 2012

Topic: Arabic Literature and Linguistics

Conference Website:
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/mes/events/conferences/jiljadid2013/

Contact: Mike Turner – jiljadidconf at gmail.com

The Department of and Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the
University of Texas at Austin are pleased to announce that they will
host the 3rd Annual Jiil Jadiid Conference in Arabic Literature and
Linguistics, a graduate student conference to be held at the
University of Texas at Austin, February 21-23, 2013.

Jiil Jadiid is a graduate student conference that aims to provide a
forum for young scholars spread across a variety of disciplines to
come together, share ideas and research, and discuss the future of
their respective fields as they move forward in their careers and come
to represent the eponymous “new generation” of scholars doing work on
the Arabic-speaking world and its cultures.

Fostering fruitful, engaging, relevant and innovative dialogue remains
our topmost priority. The conference will feature keynote speeches in
both Arabic linguistics and literature, as well as a career
development workshop offered by faculty from UT’s Department of Middle
Eastern Studies. We will likewise be exploring panel arrangements that
encourage increased coordination between individual presenters and
breakout sessions where graduate students will have an explicit
opportunity to discuss their collective vision of their fields as they
hope to see them in the near future. More details will be announced as
the conference approaches.

The 2013 Jiil Jadiid Conference is sponsored by the University of
Texas at Austin’s Department of Middle Eastern Studies, Center for
Middle Eastern Studies, Department of Linguistics, Program in
Comparative Literature, and the Graduate School.

Topics:

All papers treating topics in Arabic literature (classical and modern)
and Arabic linguistics (including applied linguistics) will gladly be
considered, in either English or Arabic (we ask that an English
summary be prepared for any papers to be presented in Arabic). We
especially encourage state of the field papers that provide a focused
overview of a specific subfield of Arabic studies and suggest new
avenues for research in that area. We also encourage submissions on
the following topics:

§  Defining Linguistic Prestige: Case Studies from Literature and Linguistics
§  Uncharted Pedagogical Ground: Novel Approaches to Arabic Language Teaching
§  New Media, New Literary Genres
§  The Voices of Arab Youth: Linguistic and Literary Perspectives
§  Quantitative Approaches to Traditionally Qualitative Topics
§  Between the City and the Countryside: The Role of Geographic Identity
§  As It Was Said: Authentic Materials in the Arabic Classroom

Papers that are to be presented at other conferences, such as ALS and
ACLA, are welcome, as we hope to provide a forum for students to
further develop and refine their research.

Unfortunately, this year we will not be able to accommodate virtual
presentations via video-chat. We will instead be providing a live
online stream of the conference proceedings that will allow those who
are not physically able to attend the conference to follow along and
contribute by leaving comments and feedback. It is our aim to
reinstate virtual presentations at future iterations of the Jiil
Jadiid conference.

Abstracts:

Applicants may submit abstracts of no more than 400 words, not
including references, in PDF format with fonts embedded. Abstracts can
be submitted via the following website:

http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/JilJadid2013

The deadline for abstracts is November 15, 2012. Abstracts should not
include identifying information; you must, however, indicate the
highest degree you have obtained and your current position (e.g.
“M.A., Graduate Student,” “Ph.D., Assistant Professor,” etc.).

Funding:

Graduate students whose abstracts are accepted will be eligible to
apply for a limited number of partial travel grants to defray some of
the costs of attending the Jiil Jadiid conference. Lodging with local
graduate students will be available where possible.

Conference Fees:

There will be no fees required of presenters and/or attendees.