Arabic-L:LING:wa- 'and' with a space after it

Wed Feb 20 18:04:06 UTC 2013

1) Subject:wa- 'and' with a space after it

Date: 20 Feb 2013
From:Elley Cannon <elleycannon at gmail.com>
Subject:wa- 'and' with a space after it

Hello,

There seems to be some disagreement over the placement of the letter "waw"
as used to mean "and," in English. I have always been taught that the waw
is not an independent word and therefore becomes attached to whatever words
it follows, just like the letter faa. However, my colleagues and I have
recently gotten into an disagreement over the issue, as we've seen numerous
instances in Arabic coursebooks where the waw is on its own.

Is this a recent development? It seems to be happening more in recent
publications. Does anyone have any insight into the issue?

Best,
Elley

--
Elinor Cannon | نور كانون
Resident Coordinator, C.V. Starr - Middlebury Schools Abroad, Jordan