Arabic-L:LING:GIS and Arabic

Thu Jan 24 17:43:09 UTC 2013

1) Subject:GIS and Arabic

Date: 24 Jan 2013
From:Jeremy Palmer <jeremy.palmer at gmail.com>
Subject:GIS and Arabic

Do you know of anyone who uses GIS software with Arabic to map spoken
Arabic in certain areas? It would be interesting to map the variation even
within one country. For example, in Sharjah the locals say beyzat for
money, while in al-Ain they say filuus. Some other Emiratis say ghawaazi.
It would be nice to have a database of this that could be displayed as a
map. I know there are programs online but I'm wondering if you know anyone
doing this with Arabic?

Thank you,
Jeremy