Arabic-L:LING:standalone wa- speculations

Tue Mar 5 17:43:01 UTC 2013

1) Subject:standalone wa- speculations

Date: 05 Mar 2013
From:aziz abbassi abbassiaziz at gmail.com
Subject:standalone wa- speculations

I followed the recent exchanges about the 'attached-detached-waw' debate
with interest and really enjoyed your expansive response and the related
research. While I (being originally from Morocco) personally never thought
of any other way to place the conjunctive 'waw' except as a stand-alone
particle, I was amused, as were you, by the result in your data showing
Morocco --and perhaps other NA neighbors-- aligned with Syria in the
stand-alone placement of this 'waw'.

After some reflection I came up with a possible theory/explanation of this
"unexpected" finding of yours, based on some strong historical facts and
decided that there should be be a historical-linguistic explanation linking
Syria and Morocco. This was indeed the result of the several centuries when
"Omayyad Syria" (i.e., Damascus) ruled "Ifriqqiya" and al-Andalus with
mixed leaderships (Musa Ibn Nusayr politically and Tariq Ibn
Ziyyad militarily). Since the Islamization process of Morocco occurred
through the Omayyad, obviously basic literacy, letters, books or any
other documents had to be written in the standard "practice" of Damascus.
Ever since the "free waw" must have been kept alive all these centuries
both in Damascus and on Mount Musa (Rif Mountains of Northern Morocco
only a few miles across from Tarifa Spain/Al-andalus).

What do you think? Hope this helps explain your statistical findings!

Aziz

Abdelaziz Abbassi PhD
International Education Consultant
308 Wild ,