Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs students for survey research

Tue Mar 5 17:43:09 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Needs students for survey research

Date: 05 Mar 2013
From:Justin Cubilo <cubiloju at gmail.com>
Subject:Needs students for survey research

Dear Arabic Instructors,

I am currently a PhD student at the University of Hawaii and I am
conducting a survey study on second language learner motivation. The
information I collect will be used to examine what motivational factors
lead people to choose to study certain languages. It is my hope that this
information can be used by teachers and program developers in the future
and will provide benefits to all stakeholders in the language learning
process.

 As part of this study, I am trying to recruit students studying various
languages in the U.S  (both commonly and less commonly taught languages) to
take an online survey. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to
send out a message to your students via course websites (found below)
explaining the study and providing a link to the survey. If you would be
willing to do this, it would be a tremendous help as I am trying to get
information from all over the U.S. at the moment and I need a rather
sizable number of participants. If willing, please let me know so that I
can keep track of what language groups are being directed to this survey.

Best,
Justin Cubilo

Student Message:

Hello Students!

I am a Ph.D. student in the department of Second Language Studies at the
University of Hawaii and I am conducting a study on language learner
motivation investigating how certain motivational factors contribute to
students' choices for studying specific languages. In order to do this, I
am seeking participants willing to complete a brief survey (it should take
15 - 20 minutes to do so). While I cannot offer you money for completing
this survey, the survey does provide you with some indirect benefits as it
will help language program developers and teachers to better understand
what motivates you to study certain languages. In addition, since I am
looking for such a large number of participants, you will receive the
utmost gratitude from me for doing this. If you are interested in
participating in this study, please click on the following link to find an
online version of the survey:

 languagemotivation.blogspot.com

Thank you very much and I hope very much that you will help me in
participating!

Justin Cubilo
cubiloju at hawaii.edu