Arabic-L:LING:Needs refs on Arabic modality and modality scopes

Thu May 23 18:11:54 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Needs refs on Arabic modality and modality scopes

Date: 23 May 2013
From:"Al-Sabbagh, Rania Mostafa" <alsabba1 at illinois.edu>
Subject:Needs refs on Arabic modality and modality scopes

Dear Arabic-L members,

I wonder whether there are any references on Arabic modality that
specifically study the syntactic realizations of modality scopes. I know
about:

- T. F. Mitchell and S. A. Al-Hassan. 1994. Modality, Mood and Aspect in
Spoken Arabic with Special Reference to Egypt and the Levant. London and
NY: Kegan Paul International.
- Kristen E. Brustad. 2000. The Syntax of Spoken Arabic: A Comparative
Study of Moroccan, Egyptian, Syrian and Kuwaiti Dialects. Georgetown
University Press: Washington DC, USA
- Maher Bahloul. 2008. Structure and Function of the Arabic Verb.
Routledge: UK

If there are more books or research papers that work on Arabic modality,
I'd be much grateful to know about them.

Many thanks,
Rania Al-Sabbagh, PhD Candidate
Department of Linguistics,