Arabic-L:PEDA:Business Arabic responses

Thu May 30 23:05:21 UTC 2013

1) Subject:Business Arabic response
2) Subject:Business Arabic response
3) Subject:Business Arabic response
4) Subject:Business Arabic response

Date: 30 May 2013
From:Nesreen Morris <nesreenmorris at yahoo.com>
Subject:Business Arabic response

We teach Business Arabic at DePaul.

~Nesreen

Nesreen Akhtarkhavari, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Director of Arabic Studies
nakhtark at depaul.edu
773-325-8639

Date: 30 May 2013
From:Stephen Franke <shfranke at hotmail.com>

Greetings... ahalan wa sahalan...

Universities in the US with established programs for the Arabic language
apparently offer specialized courses in "business & management Arabic"
(BMA) only as advanced electives. That paucity of offerings in BMA seems
largely  due to the low and sporadic demand, plus the expansion of the
overall field of "business" into areas or applications which necessitate
building specific curricula and bilingual vocabularies applicable to the
business, profession or industry.

Best I recall, some universities which offer, or can design and conduct,
such courses include:

[1] University of Michigan, where Prof. Raji Rammuny has written a series
of textbooks on the subject, among many other topics

[2] The University of Texas at Austin, which offers a double-major degree
program in MBA and ME Studies

[3] American Graduate School of International Management, Glendale, Arizona

[4] MIIS in Monterey, CA (maybe)

When some colleagues and I designed and taught some courses in BMA on
behalf of companies involved in educating and integrating Arabic-prevalent
adults in their programs for management of technology transfers and
absorption of technologies, each course required very labor-intensive
effort to define, research, develop, and validate the course's objectives
and contents before its presentation.

Look forward to learning from other respondents about universities in the
US and Canada which offer courses in Business Arabic.

Hope this helps. Today is Thursday, May 23, 2013.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California