Arabic-L:PEDA:JOBS:Adjunct Position at Portland State U

Thu Nov 21 08:33:14 UTC 2013

1) Subject: JOBS:Adjunct Position at Portland State U

Date: 21 Nov 2013
From: "Yasmeen Hanoosh, Arabic" <yhanoosh at pdx.edu>
Subject: JOBS:Adjunct Position at Portland State U

Position link:
https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/10969

Position Summary

Brief Description of PSU/School/Dept

The Department of World Languages and Literatures plays a central role in
preparing the students of Portland State University to function in the
global community.

Because we believe that language is central to that ability, we offer
instruction in American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French,
German, Ancient and Modern Greek, Modern Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean,
Latin, Norwegian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish,
and Turkish. The Department is committed to teaching for proficiency. All
of our language classes are designed to develop functional skills in
reading, writing, listening, and speaking for eventual use in a broad
variety of real-world settings.

Programs:
We offer undergraduate majors in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese,
Russian, and Spanish; minor programs in the above languages and in Italian,
Persian, Turkish, and Classical Studies. We also have a Certificate in
Advanced Proficiency in Russian and a Certificate in Teaching Japanese as a
Foreign Language.

At the graduate level, we offer the M.A. in World Languages and Literatures
with a major in French, German, Japanese, or Spanish; the M.A.T. in French,
German, or Spanish; and the M.A. in World Literature and Language, with a
concentration in two foreign languages.
Position Summary

The Arabic program in PSU’s Department of World Languages and Literatures
invites applications for a part-time position teaching an Arabic language
course. The immediate opening is for 2nd-year Standard Arabic in Spring
2014.
Primary ActivityI - InstructionalMinimum Qualifications

Master’s Degree; or full-time PSU graduate student working toward an
advanced degree.
Native or near-native fluency in Arabic and English.
Experience in proficiency-oriented language instruction preferred.
Preferred QualificationsKey Cultural Competencies

• Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates
differences.
• Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the
context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and
cultural backgrounds.
• Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in
diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change
for continual improvement
• Adheres to all PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited
Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
Total Compensation Range & Benefits Statement

$3236 for 4-credit class
Annual Salary$3236 for 4-credit class
Application Instructions

Additional Information

This is an adjunct faculty position. This position is not benefits-eligible
Additional Application Instructions (deadlines, etc.)

To Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until
finalists are identified. Position will remain open until filled. Your
application should include:
1. a letter of interest that addresses the following:
• your familiarity with colloquial and standard Arabic
• your teaching qualifications
• your teaching approach
2. a C.V.
3. three letters of recommendation

Mail all application materials to:
Arabic Search Committee
Portland State University
Department of World Languages and Literatures
PO Box 751 (WLL)
Portland OR 97207-0751
Does this position require the employee to drive a motor
vehicle?NoBackground
Check RequiredNoPosition End Date (if applicable)
Search Details

Projected Close Date for PostingOpen Until Finalists IdentifiedApplication
screening begins11/01/2013

*Yasmeen HanooshArabic Section HeadAssistant Professor of Arabic
StudiesWorld Languages and Literatures Portland State University Office: NH
496Phone: 971-270-6574*