Arabic-L:PEDA:Modern Arabic Poetry for HS level 1 classes

Wed Nov 27 13:09:57 UTC 2013

1) Subject: Modern Arabic Poetry for HS level 1 classes
2) Subject: Modern Arabic Poetry for HS level 1 classes

Date: 27 Nov 2013
From: Ebtesam Mohammadi <ebtesam at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: Modern Arabic Poetry for HS level 1 classes

Hi Virginia,
I am sorry my response is too late, I don't check this e-mail often.
I would suggest كتاب الحب  for Nizar Qabbani, I use it a lot with my
beginning students:
http://nizariat.com/poetry.php?id=105

 Also, you may check لافتات  for Ahamad Matar, both have very short poems
while Matar's is more political:
http://www.al-hakawati.net/arabic/civilizations/diwanindex6a17.pdf

Also in this link:
http://www.suzanne-alaywan.com/A_Presence_Called_Love.htm
Suzan Eliwan who is a contemporary writer combines her childish drawings
and very short poems in a very creative way.
Most of her peotry which is available on her website
http://www.suzanne-alaywan.com/Poetry.htm  contain short poems which -I
would argue - reflect the unrest and confusion of teenagers in a very
bitter fragmented manner. I started reading he poetry in magazines for
young writers when I was a teenager - and she was too -  and it touched me
deeply.

Hope this helps,
Best,
Ebtissam Oraby