Arabic-L:PEDA:CASA 2014-2015 Full Year Program

Thu Oct 3 16:59:07 UTC 2013

1) Subject: CASA 2014-2015 Full Year Program

Date: 03 Oct 2013
From: "Al-Batal, Mahmoud M" <albatal at austin.utexas.edu>
Subject: CASA 2014-2015 Full Year Program

ANNOUNCEMENT
CENTER FOR ARABIC STUDY ABROAD (CASA)

CASA I 2014-2015 Full-Year Program

The Center for Arabic Study Abroad (CASA) is pleased to announce that it
will offer CASA I Full-Year
Fellowships for advanced Arabic language study for the 2014-2015 academic
year.

CASA I Fellowships: (June 2014-May 2015)
The CASA I fellowships provide intensive language and culture training in
Colloquial and Modern Standard Arabic (reading, listening and writing) for
three semesters (summer, fall and spring) and allow students in the spring
semester to take courses in Arabic in their respective areas of
specialization.
In 2013-2014, CASA offered 29 CASA I fellowships in Cairo; however, due to
political unrest in Egypt, the CASA fellows were evacuated and the program
relocated to the Qasid Arabic Institute in Amman, Jordan. For 2014-2015,
CASA expects to offer up to 23 fellowships for the full-year program. CASA
hopes to return to
Cairo in June 2014 but will keep contingency plans in place to meet any
emergencies.

Requirements:
To qualify for a CASA I fellowship, the successful applicant must: 1) be a
U.S. citizen or permanent resident; 2) be enrolled in a graduate or
undergraduate program or in between their undergraduate and graduate study;
3) be committed to a career in Middle Eastern Studies; and 4) pass the CASA
Selection exam, which usually requires a minimum of 3-4 years of
college-level language study. The exam will be administered to all
stateside applicants at a school in their locality on Friday, February 7,
2014 and for all international applicants the exam will be administered on
Wednesday, February 5, 2014.
Each applicant must complete and submit the CASA I application form and
provide all supporting documents by the designated deadline. For those
applicants awarded a fellowship, a 20-30 minute Oral Proficiency Interview
in Arabic will be coordinated with a certified oral proficiency tester.
This interview takes place in April once an applicant's enrollment in CASA
is confirmed.
Each CASA I applicant is required to pay a non-refundable program fee once
an award has been accepted. Fees for 2014-2015 will be posted on the CASA
web site soon. Please note that only applicants affiliated with a CASA
Consortium university, at the time program fees are due, are eligible for
the Consortium rate.
Applicants for CASA I have the option of participating on a
Pay-Your-Own-Way basis, if they have other sources of funding. Applicants
are encouraged to seek funding from other private and government sources,
such as the Fulbright Hays Student Scholarships, for their CASA studies.
The deadline for Fulbright Hays Scholarships is October 15, 2013. Please
visit the website for more information:
http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_country.html?id=32

Please note that non-U.S. citizens are also welcome to apply to CASA, and
if accepted, may participate on a
Pay-Your-Own-Way basis only.

Benefits:
A CASA I fellowship award covers tuition, round-trip airfare and a monthly
stipend.
For detailed descriptions of the CASA programs, a list of Consortium
members, or to download application forms, please visit the CASA website
at: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/casa/

*The application deadline for the 2014-2015 CASA I program is Monday,
January 6, 2014*

All questions and applications should be addressed to:  ATTN: Marissa
Canales, Stateside Program Coordinator
Center for Arabic Study Abroad/University of Texas at Austin
204 W. 21st Street, F9400, CAL 510A Austin, TX 78712
Email:  casaprogram1967 at gmail.com<mailto:casaprogram1967 at gmail.com>
Phone: (512) 471-3513 / Fax: (512) 471-7834