Arabic-L:PEDA:4th Tunis Exchange program

Mon Oct 21 07:35:53 UTC 2013

1) Subject: 4th Tunis Exchange program

Date: 21 Oct 2013
From: Nicholas Noe <noe at mideastwire.com>
Subject: 4th Tunis Exchange program

Apply For the Fourth Tunis Exchange January 4-18, 2014/Deadline November 20

Mideastwire.com and its partners - Université Paris-Dauphine I Tunis and
Tunisia Live - are pleased to announce the Fourth Tunis Exchange January
4-January 18, 2014.

The two-week course will immerse our participants in the politics of
Tunisia, with a particular emphasis on direct engagement with high-level
academic, political, intellectual and religious figures active across the
spectrum.

TO REQUEST AN APPLICATION for this Winter's Tunis Exchange, email
info at mideastwire.com.

APPLY BY NOVEMBER 20, 2013 (applicants are accepted on a rolling basis and
spaces are limited).

Note that tuition discounts are available for those applicants with
demonstrated need as well as alumni of our previous Exchanges. For more
information, please emailinfo at mideastwire.com

*******************
Learn Arabic in Tunis!

For more information about our new series of Arabic Language classes -
including private lessons - offered at several different levels, visit:

https://www.facebook.com/ArabicInTunis

All classes take place at our Hotel - Villa 78 - located at 78 Avenue
Mohammad V in Downtown Tunis (www.villa78tunis.com).

*******************
Background on Five Years of the Exchange in the MENA Region:

The Exchange is an effort by Mideastwire.com and its partners to promote
direct engagement and understanding through a variety of city-focused
politics conferences.

The First Exchange was launched in June 2008 in Beirut, Lebanon. Now,
several years on, over 325 students from 44 different countries have
participated in 18 different Exchange programs across the region, with many
going on to work as diplomats in their home countries, for NGOs serving the
region and as social entrepreneurs.

The Exchange welcomes applications from current students as well as
professionals and post-professionals interested in better understanding the
Middle East and North Africa, and, we hope, their own country's involvement
in the region.

To view previous Exchange itineraries in Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, Tunis and
the Gulf, as well as media coverage of our efforts, visit
http://www.thebeirutexchange.com

*******************
THE FOURTH TUNIS EXCHANGE
January 4-18, 2014/Application deadline November 20, 2013
Limited spaces available/Rolling acceptance

As with our other Exchanges, the two-week program January 4-18 will engage
students from around the world in a multifaceted discussion of some of the
key issues facing Tunisia and the wider region. The Tunis Exchange program
specifically rests on two tracks:

Academic - Participants will attend a series of lectures led by leading
professors and public intellectuals in Tunisia. Topics will include, among
others: Economic challenges facing Tunisia and North Africa; Political
Islam and electoral politics; The status of women in Tunisia and the MENA
region; Media coverage of the Arab revolts; Trade union politics in the
post Ben Ali era; Emerging security challenges in the MENA region, as well
as a range of other topics.

Dialogue with Leaders - Participants will have the opportunity to meet,
listen and engage leading social, political, religious and economic leaders
from across the spectrum in Tunisia.

*********
Program Format - The Tunis Exchange will be held over fourteen days total
at the conference room of the Le Pacha hotel in downtown Tunis. Students
are expected to stay at our hotel, Villa 78 (located across the street from
the Pacha) or at the Pacha hotel itself, unless permission for offsite stay
at alternative hotels or accommodations is requested, since most meetings
will take place in the conference room at Le Pacha.

Off-site meetings will entail bus travel as a group in and around Tunis. At
least three days of the program will entail travel to other cities and
regions in Tunisia for meetings with local activists, intellectuals,
academics and political/religious leaders, including in Sidi Bouzid, Sfax
and Gafsa.

only):
Ennahda Party
Congress for the Republic Party
Ettakatol Party
Constitutional Democratic Rally Party
The Democratic Modernist Pole Party
Worker's Communist Party
Progressive Democratic Party
Tunisian General Trade Union
Union of Tunisian Journalists
The Central Bank of Tunisia
Ministry of Women's Affairs
Ministry of Human Rights
Manouba University
Tunis University
Association of Democratic Women
Tunisian Network for Social Economy
Tunisian Observatory for a Democratic Transition
Tunisian League of Human Rights
Tunisian-American Chamber of Commerce
Tunisian Association of Young Entrepreneurs
Committee to Protect Journalists
Attounsia Newspaper

To view a schedule for a previous Tunis Exchange, visit:

http://www.thebeirutexchange.com/images/stories/1_-_Tunis_Exchange_Schedule_Final_Tunis.pdf

Costs:
Tuition - $2000; Partial financial aid is available for those students and
individuals that can demonstrate need as well as alumni of our previous
programs.

Accommodation - Eleven nights of the program will be spent at our
facilities in downtown Tunis, while at least three nights will be spent at
hotels outside of Tunis. Room rates vary depending on arrangements, but
generally fall within the range of $600-$700 total for a shared double room
during the duration of the program (breakfast is included). Alternative
accommodation, including in a single room, is available upon request.

Airfare - $450, approximate from the European Union.

REQUEST AN APPLICATION via info at mideastwire.com

For more about Université Paris-Dauphine I Tunis, visit
http://www.tunisdauphine.tn/
For more about Tunisia Live, visit http://www.tunisia-live.net
For more about Le Pacha Hotel, visit http://www.lepacha.com.tn/