Arabic-L;PEDA:CLASSRoad online workshop on using technology in language teaching

Mon Jan 20 23:38:01 UTC 2014

1) Subject: CLASSRoad online workshop on using technology in language
teaching

Date: 20 Jan 2014
From: Munir Shaikh <munir at classroad.com>
Subject: CLASSRoad online workshop on using technology in language teaching

Subject: Online Professional Development Workshop

Teaching Languages Using Technology

4-week Online Course for World Language Teachers

February 15 - March 15, 2014

Educators are increasingly expected to integrate technology in their
curriculum design and teaching practices. This online course is designed
specifically for teachers of world languages, including those teaching
“less commonly taught languages” (LCTLs) such as Arabic, Persian, and
Chinese. The course content is presented in English by experts in language
pedagogy and education technology, but assignments are designed for you to
use the “target language” that you teach in your classroom.

Through the appropriate and effective use of technology, you can design
lessons and assessments that meet the ACTFL standards for teaching world
languages (5 Cs), supporting development of your students’ reading,
writing, speaking and listening skills. Engage your students, today’s
“digital natives,” by using interactive activities, digital storytelling
projects, online assessments, and other empowering tools and strategies
you’ll learn about in this course.

Key Features:

   -

   Learn and get help from a live Online Instructor throughout the
   five-part course.
   -

   Access the course materials online from your computer at any time, from
   anywhere.
   -

   Go at your own pace, committing about an hour per day on average, to
   stay on schedule.
   -

   Expand your professional network of language education peers across the
   nation.
   -

   Reflect on your experience with colleagues during an end-of-course
   online webinar.
   -

   Receive a Professional Development Certificate upon successful
   completion of the course.

Course Content:

   -

   14 video presentations by experts in technology and language instruction.
   -

   PDF Notes of the Powerpoint slides shown in the presentations.
   -

   Online quizzes to help you check your comprehension.
   -

   Discussion Forum to discuss concepts and share ideas with peers in the
   course.
   -

   5 online graded assignments with helpful video tutorials.

Topics Covered:

   -

   Best Practices for Integrating Technology in Your Classroom
   -

   Using the Target Language on Your Computer
   -

   Image Editing and Annotating
   -

   Digital Citizenship for Students
   -

   Using Google Drive for Planning and Instruction
   -

   Using Blogs and Wikis in Courses
   -

   Understanding Twitter and Social Media in Education
   -

   Using Podcasting and Audio Tools
   -

   The Value of Digital Storytelling and ePortfolios
   -

   Using Assessment Tools and Apps

Enrollment Fee: $129

Early-bird discount - $99 by midnight February 7, 2014.

http://www.classroad.com/technologycourse

Participants who complete the course with a grade of 70% or better will
receive a Professional Development Certificate in PDF format. In-service
Credit and College Transfer Credit also available after course completion
for an additional fee.

To benefit from this course, you should be comfortable using computers in
general. This course is not for absolute beginners, nor is it for very
technology-savvy individuals. It is designed for language educators who
have not had extensive experience with education technology and the online
tools mentioned in the list of topics above.

"I can say this is the best course I have ever taken in educational
technology. It is so straightforward that any teacher with the minimum
technological qualifications can follow, understand, and practice all the
beautiful tools I have learned. I will take it all back to my school and
share it with my colleagues and make a difference in our students' lives."
- Al Sadiq, Arabic Instructor

"Thank you for setting up such a course and thank you to all the lecturers.
I learned a lot about using technology. It was great to know about most of
the websites and how to use them. I think the most efficient part of this
course was assignments. I learned from assignments a lot."  - Emre, Turkish
Instructor

"This workshop was a very meaningful experience for me, both professionally
and personally. I felt connected, engaged, and intrigued throughout. It was
a wonderful combination of transformational learning and access to
specific, highly useful strategies that I will use in my teaching." -
Shahla,
Persian Instructor

"I learned a lot from the workshop, including all available online
resources, how to incorporate technology into language class, how to use
technological tools to assess students' learning, how to engage students in
diverse ways. The learning experience was really practical, useful,
intellectual and hands-on. The online lectures with demonstration equipped
me with solid theory and good practice. Homework feedback and grades
encourages me to continue to do well. Highly Recommended!" - Yan, Chinese
Instructor