Arabic-L:LING:Query on Arabic etymology for word 'mask'

Mon Jun 30 17:22:55 UTC 2014

1) Subject: Query on Arabic etymology for word 'mask'

Date: 30 Jun 2014
From: kerstin wilsch <kwilsch at hotmail.com>
Subject: Query on Arabic etymology for word 'mask'

I am asking the following questions on behalf of a friend who does research
about clowns and masks (and does not speak Arabic). He was wondering about
the origins of the word 'mask'. It probably originates in the Arabic word
مسخرة which entered Italian in the 12th century as 'maschera', but there
doesn't seem to be sufficient proof for this assumption. So he is
interested in cultural practices that might be related to these words.

Here are his questions:

How does the clown/joker in the Arab culture relate to the Western notion
of 'mask'?
How can its etymology be explained from an Arab point of view?
How was 'maskhara', describing an amusing activity, turned into a word for
a thing, 'mask'?
Obviously Egypt already knew the tradition of what in the West was the
'court jester' in the 10th and 11th century. Is the word 'maskhara' related
to this tradition, i.e. to a cultural practice? Did those jesters probably
wear masks and were therefore clearly visible/recognized?
Can we establish a connection between Islamic and Western culture in this
context ?

Can anybody help my friend?

Thank you,

Kerstin