Arabic-L:PEDA:Waheed Samy Writing Award Results

Sat Oct 11 04:53:08 UTC 2014

1) Subject: Waheed Samy Writing Award Results

Date: 11 Oct 2014
From:  "Al-Batal, Mahmoud M" <albatal at austin.utexas.edu>
Subject: Waheed Samy Writing Award Results

Dear Colleagues,

The members of the selection committee  for the Waheed Samy Excellence in
Arabic Writing Award are happy to report to you the results of the 2014
competition.

The recipient of the  2014 award is Mr. Michael Turner . Michael is
originally from Elizabeth City, North Carolina. As an undergraduate he
attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he majored
in International Studies and first began his journey with the Arabic
language. After graduating, he volunteered with the United States Peace
Corps in southern Morocco, spending two years working in a youth center in
a rural community. In 2011 he enrolled as a graduate student at the
University of Texas at Austin, where he is now pursuing a Ph.D. in Middle
Eastern Languages and Cultures with a focus on the linguistic history of
Arabic and Berber in North Africa.

We would like to congratulate Mike for this outstanding achievement and
wish him the best with his doctoral program.

The committee would also like to thank the Arabic faculty members who have
helped all participants reach such remarkable levels of proficiency in
Arabic writing. We are fortunate to have such a group of excellent writers
in our midst and we look forward to seeing more of their ibdaa`aat in
Arabic writing in the future.

We encourage all teachers of Arabic at the higher levels to bring this
award to their students' attention. The 2015 competition will take place in
May 2015 and more information will be available in the spring.

For information about the application and requirements please visit
https://sites.google.com/a/aucegypt.edu/arabic-writing-contest/home

Wishing you all a very successful year.

Members of the Waheed Samy Selection committee:

Dr. Dalal Abou El-Seoud
Dr. Mahmoud Al-Batal
Ustaadha Azza Hassanein
Ustaadha Nevneka Korica-Sullivan