Arabic-L:PEDA&LING:Oxford Arabic Dictionary released

Tue Sep 2 12:33:13 UTC 2014

1) Subject: Oxford Arabic Dictionary released

Date: 02 Sep 2014
From: Tressy <tressy.arts at gmail.com>
Subject: Oxford Arabic Dictionary released

 Dear colleagues;

It is with immense pride and gratitude that I'd like to announce the
official launch of the completely new Oxford Arabic Dictionary:
English-Arabic and Arabic-English. Official press release below, in Arabic
here:
http://cdn.oxwordsblog.wpfuel.co.uk/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/Arabic-press-re
lease.pdf
<http://cdn.oxwordsblog.wpfuel.co.uk/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/Arabic-press-release.pdf>

I am eager to hear your opinions.

Tressy Arts
Chief Editor
Oxford Arabic Dictionary

Oxford University Press publishes ground-breaking new Oxford Arabic
Dictionary

Press release
For immediate distribution                                                27
August 2014

Oxford University Press publishes ground-breaking new Oxford Arabic
Dictionary

New Modern Standard Arabic dictionary features over 130,000 words and
phrases, 200,000 translations, 70,000 real example phrases

On Thursday 28 August 2014, Oxford University Press will celebrate the print
and digital publication of the Oxford Arabic Dictionary.

Produced by an international team of expert translators and advisors using
Oxford’s renowned language research programme, the Oxford Arabic Dictionary
is the first of its kind to be based throughout on real modern evidence of
both English and Arabic usage.

The unique Arabic corpus, developed specially for this project, provides
evidence of the latest vocabulary used in computing, business, the media,
and the arts, making the resource the most up-to-date bilingual Arabic and
English dictionary available. The dictionary focuses on the standardized
variant of Arabic used in writing and formal speech, commonly known as
Modern Standard Arabic.

One of the key strengths of this project is the 70,000 real example phrases
that illustrate the dictionary entries. These examples help the user
interpret everyday modern meaning and usage accurately, and cement the
Oxford Arabic Dictionary as the most pragmatic work of its kind.

The dictionary is available in print and is also accessible online via
subscription at Oxforddictionaries.com/Arabic
<http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/arabic> . The online edition is fully
accessible on mobile and tablet, and, via specially developed search
software, enables learners and users of Arabic and English to search more
than 330,000 words, phrases, and translations. Regular word and content
updates will ensure that the online Oxford Arabic Dictionary continues to
reflect the latest vocabulary and trends in language usage.

Tressy Arts, chief editor of the Oxford Arabic Dictionary, comments:

“When I was a student in the nineties, I used an Arabic-English and an
English-Arabic dictionary from the seventies. In 2014, these two were still
the best options available. The Oxford Arabic Dictionary finally gives
learners and translators a modern dictionary in which they can find the
Arabic for ‘blog’ and ‘tweet’ as well as for ‘camel’. The dictionary is
clear, with sense indicators and examples showing which translation to
choose; comprehensive, with over 26,000 entries on either side; and
evidence-based, which is unique for Arabic. It shows both English and Arabic
as the vast, dynamic world languages they are, and creates a unique bridge
between the two.”

Casper Grathwohl, President, Dictionaries Division at OUP adds: “With the
rising demand for Arabic language skills in the business world, the media,
and public life, the Oxford Arabic Dictionary is a long-awaited and
unsurpassed resource, essential for anyone using both Arabic and English.”

Key facts

*       Publication date is 28 August 2014
*       More than 130,000 words and phrases
*       200,000 translations
*       Covers Modern Standard Arabic, and British and American English
*       Extra content including tables of Arabic verbs, numbers, and dates

Oxford Arabic Dictionary
FAQ:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/oxford-dictionaries-arabic-faq#m
odern-standard-arabic
<http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/oxford-dictionaries-arabic-faq#modern-standard-arabic>

About
OxfordDictionaries.com:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/about-odo

About Oxford University Press: http://global.oup.com/uk/about/, or follow us
on:

twitter.com/OxfordWords <http://www.twitter.com/oxfordwords>  &
facebook.com/OxfordDictionaries <http://www.facebook.com/OxfordDictionaries>
&blog.oxforddictionaries.com <http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/>

For media enquiries or to arrange interviews, please contact:

Nathalie Viselé
Director
Shamal Marketing Communications
PO Box 502701
Office 106 I Arjaan Office Tower I Dubai Media City
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Office: +971 4 3652711 I Direct : +971 4 3652712
Mobile : +971 50 4576525
Fax:+971 4 4278703
E-mail: nathalie at smc-pr.com
Web site: www.smc-pr.com <http://www.smc-pr.com/>

For media enquiries or to arrange interviews in the UK and Europe, please
contact:

Kate Farquhar-Thomson
Head of Publicity
Oxford University Press
Email: kate.farquhar-thomson at oup.com
Mobile: 07967 099456

For media enquiries or to arrange interviews in the Americas, please
contact:

Molly Grote
Oxford University Press, USA
Email: Molly.Grote at oup.com