Arabic-L:LING:Contemporary Written Fusha Workshiop

Sat Sep 13 04:39:17 UTC 2014

1) Subject: Contemporary Written Fusha Workshiop

Date: 13 Sep 2014
From: Manuel Sartori <manuel.sartori at gmail.com>
Subject: Contemporary Written Fusha Workshiop

Dear Colleagues,

A little more than a month ago I sent you an invitation to participate in
the workshop that I organize next year with some of my colleagues in
Aix-en-Provence.

Some of you have already responded positively to me and I am delighted. In
case some of you have notreceived it, and on the occasion of the new
academic year I send it again.

Please note that by now the Scientific Committee is formed : Michael
Carter, Joseph Dichy, Antonella Ghersetti, Pierre Larcher and Janet Watson
graciously agreed to be the members of that committe.

The Organization Committee : Francesco Binaghi, Manuela Giolfo, Alain
Girod, Catherine Pinon, Marie Robache, Manuel Sartori.

Waiting to hear from you.

Sincerely yours,

Manuel Sartori

[below is an attempt to extract the info from the attached pdf]

Materials for the Establishment of Contemporary Written Fuṣḥā (CWF)
Descriptive Grammars
Between rule(s) and practices over the past 50 years
Friday, May 29 and Saturday, May 30, 2015 in Georges Duby room Maison
Méditerrannéenne des Sciences de l’Homme
5, rue Château de l’Horloge
13090 Aix-en-Provence (France)
By this international workshop, we propose to open a space for reflection
on Contemporary Written Arabic language and, more specifically, on the
variety which is renown in the Arab world as to be fuṣḥā. We shall call
it then Contemporary Written Fuṣḥā (CWF).
The primary aim of our workshop will be to record new data in terms of
facts of language over the last half-century, to analyze them, and then to
report on significant developments in this language variety. Our ap- proach
is resolutely linguistic and not didactic.
The collection of data must result from a work on written corpora
(literature - novels, short stories, theater, etc. -, news, blogs, etc.)
whose supports can be various (paper or internet). These data will form the
new work materials to analyse the reality of nowadays practices. These data
will also and especially be usefull to as- sess the so-called “recent”
grammars of Modern Standard Arabic are descriptively adequate. You will
find a non- exhaustive bibliography of these grammars at the end of this
call.
By restricting its scope to linguistic CWF facts, this workshop will mainly
take account of syntactical is- sues without excluding lexical and
morphological ones. Our workshop will also address issues relating to spel-
ling and punctuation. This may also include practices of AutoCorrection
within Word processing, the process of creating grammatical and lexical
markers, etc.
In our analysis of CWF, we shall exclude “dialects” as an object of study,
without excluding its presence in texts and/or its influence on such
contemporary Arabic.
Our discussions will be held in French, English and Arabic.
-1/2-
We hope that our meeting will be both an opportunity for stimulating
discussions on an object that brings us together and the first step towards
further research and meetings to improve our understanding and description
of the variety of language that we have chose to name Contemporary Written
Fuṣḥā of these past 50 years.
No charge will be applied for attending the workshop. Costs of hotel and
meals will be supported.
Some recent grammars of Contemporary Written Arabic:
Alhawary, Mohammad T. 2011. Modern Standard Arabic Grammar. A Learner’s
Guide. Chichester: Wiley- Blackwell.
Alosh, Mahdi. 2005. Using Arabic: A Guide to Contemporary Usage. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.
Badawi, El-Said et al. 2004. Modern Written Arabic. A Comprehensive
Grammar. Londres: Routledge.
Beeston, Alfred Felix Landon. 2006[1970]. The Arabic Language Today.
Washington D. C.: Georgetown University Press.
Buckley, Ronald Paul. 2004. Modern Literary Arabic. A Reference Grammar.
Beyrouth: Librairie du Liban.
Liban.
Corriente, Federico C. 2006 [1988]. Gramaticá árabe. Barcelone: Herder. 2
éd.
Hassanein, Azza. 2006. Modern Standard Arabic Grammar: A Concise Guide.
Cairo – New York: The American Univesity Press in Cairo.
Haywood, J. A. and Nahmad, H. M. 2001[1965]. A new Arabic grammar of
written Arabic. Londres: Lund Humphries, 2ème éd.
McCarus, Ernest N. 2007. English Grammar for Students of Arabic: The Study
Guide for Those Learning Arabic. Ann Arbor: The Olivia and Hill Press.
Ryding, Karin C. 2005. A Reference Grammar of Modern Arabic. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.
Schulz, Eckehard et al. 2008[2000], [1996]. Lehrbuch des modernen Arabisch,
Berlin-Munich: Langescheidt KG; translated by Cambridge University Press.
Standard Arabic. An elementary-intermediate course. New York: Cambridge
University Press.
-2/2-