The Linguistics of Eating and Drinking

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 18 21:40:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:31, awebster at siu.edu <awebster at siu.edu> wrote:
> And for those that don't know, Sally Rice had a nice piece in
> the first book as well on the semantics of giving. akw
>
> 1998. “Giving and taking in Chipewyan: The Semantics of THING-
> marking classificatory verbs.” In The Linguistics of Giving.
> (ed. John Newman). Philadelphia: John Benjamins. 97-134.

These posts have inspired me to add a short chapter to my grammar of
Tlingit which discusses the verb constructions used for everyday
activities. I'm going to order them loosely according to a single day:
waking, urinating, defecating, walking, hunting, canoeing, fishing,
lighting fires, cooking, eating, drinking, talking, sleeping. Maybe
one or two others as well. I don't know what I'll say about each verb
yet, but they'll at least serve as examples of how basic activities
are described.

James