Navajo term for "anthropologist"?

awebster@siu.edu awebster at SIU.EDU
Wed Apr 29 14:28:54 UTC 2009

Dear all,

The forms that I have been given for linguist and
anthropologist in Navajo are: saad neiLkaahi 'linguist' (where
L is the voiceless l) and DinE neiLkaahi 'anthropologist'(where
E equals high tone e). Both are based on the verb stem -kAA'
(where A equals high tone a), which has a sense of 'track,
trail, study, investigate'. And can gloss as roughly, those
that study language/Navajo. And one of the kin terms used is,
in my experience anyway, the -k'is form. -k'is is used for
siblings of the same sex, but also "friend". But, and here I
defer to Navajos, it depends on the contexts and circumstances.
As anyone who has spent time reading through Aberle or
Witherspoon will quickly figure out, Navajo kinship terminology
is a rather complicated topic and, as always, it depends.

best, akw