Stops and affricates and terminology

Gunnar Ólafur Hansson ghansson at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Wed Dec 2 05:58:21 UTC 2009

Speaking as a phonologist, it is my impression that many people use
"plosive" as a cover term for {stop, affricate}; that is, for non-
continuant obstruents.

But I've also seen others do it the other way around, using "stop" as
the cover term, and "plosive" to refer specifically to non-affricate
stops. The problem is that in this narrower technical sense of
"plosive" (which you find in Ladefoged's standard textbook "A Course
in Phonetics", among other places), that term is supposed to refer
specifically to *pulmonic* stops. So ejectives wouldn't be covered
under that, which means that for Athabaskan languages we'd be back in
the same dilemma with how to refer to the affricate vs. stop
distinction among *ejectives*.

So my vote would go with using "plosive" in the wider, cover-term
sense described above. I've always found that a handy terminology.

--Gunnar

  Gunnar Ólafur Hansson
  Department of Linguistics
  University of British Columbia