Does Anyone Recognize This Porcupine Story

Tad McIlwraith mcilwraitht at DOUGLAS.BC.CA
Tue Nov 3 18:41:40 UTC 2009

Hello,

I was told the following story in northern BC.  I am not sure I have
the full story and I am wondering if anyone recognizes it.  More, does
anyone know if a version of this story has been published anywhere?
I've done a search in the Journal of American Folklore without luck.

Thanks in advance,

Tad McIlwraith
Douglas College
New Westminster, BC
mcilwraitht at douglas.bc.ca

There is this guy who lived with porcupine for nine months. He chase
around after porcupine.  He go here and there (like a porcupine does).
 He should have quit.  He follow that porcupine into a crack in the
rock.  He got stuck.  He look behind him and there’s a little hole.
So he took off his snowshoes and leaned up his rifle.  The snowshoes
stick out this much [gesturing].  The porcupine and its family come
and go.  Each time they pass by him they brush him.  Maybe that’s how
they feed him.  After nine months, he look at that hole.  It’s bigger.
 He gets out.  He sees wolf tracks in the snow.  He puts on his
snowshoes.  He follows the tracks back to his village.