Fw: List of Athabaskanist terminology

Andrej A. Kibrik aakibrik at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 4 13:21:11 UTC 2009

(I am resending this once again, it seems it has not reached the list last time)

I think this is a great undertaking. I have been concerned about the bizarre
Athabaskanist terminology since the very beginning of my interest in these
languages. I would propose that this resourse also contains suggestions on
altering obscure terms and replacing them by more transparent and more
generally acceptable ones. As I mentioned once in a paper, two major
typological studies failed to notice the transitivity/valence morpheme in
front of the root and pictured the Athabaskan languages accordingly. No
doubt this is because of the "classifier" term. That is, our obscure
terminology is largely responsible for non-Athabaskanists being unable to
understand a bit about these languages, which is, to my mind, no good at
all. Nothing in this world is for ever, and this includes Athabaskanist
terms. Why don't we change them to more sensible ones? I have been
suggesting "transitivity indicator", or TI, instead of "classifier".

A few additional items for the list that immediately come to mind:

mode
subject and object (as applied to affixes)
deictic
fourth person
peg element
transitional

Actually, some of the terms on the list below are quite normal from the
cross-linguistic point of view, such as distributive or iterative, and I am
not sure they need to be included. Some are Athabaskan innovations, and very
fortunate ones, such as Kari's disjunct and conjunct.

Andrej Kibrik