Assorted interesting things

Gary Holton gmholton at ALASKA.EDU
Fri Sep 18 22:49:57 UTC 2009

James,

Thanks for the reference. Those interested in writing tone might also
want to look at:

Bird, Steven (1999). Strategies for representing tone in African
writing systems: A critical review. Written Language and Literacy 2:
1-33.
— (1999). When tone marking reduces fluency: An orthography experiment
in Cameroon. Language and Speech 42(1): 82-115.

Our Africanist colleagues are very much ahead of us in this area. I'd
be interested to hear from others who have looked into this issue in
Athabascan languages. My paper on tone representation from the 2003
ALC can be downloaded at
http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffgmh1/docs/alc2003.pdf

Gary