Request for examples

Amy Fountain avf at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Sep 29 18:54:05 UTC 2009

I think that also in Navajo (Navajo/Apachean experts, please correct me
if I'm wrong) one finds:

jini(high tone on the final i (only))

in constructions that might translate as 'it is said' or 'people say'.
This form has the so-called '4th person' prefix ji-, which is an
obligatorily human pronoun.

Maybe this '4th person' subject marker is the analogous bit to the
'irregular indefinite human subject' you're illustrating in Tlingit?  It
might be used in stories, or with general warnings (i.e. 'people say one
shouldn't X') and such (among many other contexts)?

I'm not getting this from a reference work - it's come up several times
in an introductory Navajo language class I habitually sit in on. But it
can be found in the Young and Morgan dictionaries under the C-I form of
the verb 'to say'.

If Frank can confirm, maybe it'd fit the bill for you?  Or other
Apacheanists - does this ring true for you?

The stem is the same as in the first set of Frank's examples.  Looks
like a zero classifier, and the 4th person subject ji-.

Would you be willing to share the list you come up with, James?

Best,

Amy

--
Amy Fountain, Ph.D., Lecturer