Updates to Athabaskan notes

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 29 22:52:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:40 PM, James Crippen <jcrippen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:23, Harald Hammarström
> <h.hammarstrom at let.ru.nl> wrote:
>> I am writing a review of the 16th ed of the ethnologue
>
> As a note to the general Athabaskanist public, we need to write to the
> Ethnologue editors more. Their stuff on Athabaskan-Eyak-Tlingit is
> obviously based on outdated information from older sources. Instead of
> scoffing we should be feeding them more reliable data.

Good luck - plenty of people have written to Ethnologue with
corrections and have received no response. It's really unfortunate
that they are apparently so closed to corrections from experts in the
families. This problem was brought to Gary Simons' attention at a
recent meeting and his response was basically that they don't have
time to do anything with them, so they just ignore them.
Claire