"Voiced obstruent" mistakes

Gary Holton gmholton at ALASKA.EDU
Thu Feb 18 05:35:57 UTC 2010

James,

I think only a very naive linguist would make such a mistake.
Practical orthographies are just that -- practical -- they are not
intended to represent either IPA or English conventions. I can think
of orthographies which use <a> to represent schwa, and <x> to
represent a pharyngeal fricative. I'm sure others could add to this
list. So I'm curious about your assertion that Athabaskan
orthographies have "tripped up" other linguists. While a linguist
might make casual assumptions in passing, I would hope that any
linguist who actually makes use of data from Athabaskan (or indeed any
other language) would be more careful. This could explain why
anecdotes about the misinterpretation of Athabaskan orthographies are
easier to find than actual citations in published source. Still,
there's some pretty shoddy linguistics out there, so there are bound
to be a few published examples :(

Roy's point about the effect on learners is an interesting one. As
first language speech communitoies continue to shrink, we should
expect L2 learners' pronunciation to become more like English. Just
how much of this convergence is attributable to orthography is an open
question.

Gary