Google hits for Athabaskan spellings

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 24 05:45:29 UTC 2010

I've decided to start chronicling the numbers of Google hits for the
different spellings of "Athabaskan". Results below are for google.com
(USA) and google.ca (Canada). The "dym" is Google's "Did you mean"
suggestion.

google.com
Athabaskan: 150,000
Athabascan: 149,000
Athapaskan: 107,000 (dym: Athabaskan)
Athapascan: 206,000 (dym: Athabascan)

google.ca
Athabaskan: 149,000
Athabascan: 149,000
Athapaskan: 107,000 (dym: Athabaskan)
Athapascan: 207,000 (dym: Athabascan)

These results are of course skewed and unreliable for all sorts of
reasons. I have no idea how different hits are selected for the two
countries. The results also include things that are only tangentially
related, like the HMCS Athabaskan, the Athabasca(n) Oil Sands, the
lake, various company names, and who knows what else. But they're
interesting nonetheless.

I will post results irregularly, but probably around once per month.
Google also archives this information somewhere, but I would rather
keep track of my external observations.

Cheers,
James