digraphs and sorting

Andrea L. Berez andrea.berez at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 25 18:08:52 UTC 2012

Interesting question, to which I'll respond only anecdotally (because I
don't know of any such studies).

Here at CILLDI this week some savvy Ath (specifically DS) speakers have
told me things like "We have many different "d"s: d, dh, ddh..." So there's
a mix of the awareness of these sounds as somehow separate from one
another, but yes still conceived of as flavors of d. Phonology and literacy
colliding...

Andrea

--
Andrea L. Berez
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics