Fwd: digraphs and sorting

James Kari jmkari at ALASKA.EDU
Tue Jul 31 03:19:34 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Hsu <hsu at hawaii.edu>
Date: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: digraphs and sorting
To: James Kari <jmkari at alaska.edu>
Cc: gmholton at alaska.edu, "S. Hargus" <sharon at u.washington.edu>

Hi Jim--  Thanks for forwarding this thread from Gary.

Gary:  I don't know of any studies, and in any case general studies may

not be too relevant since in a particular language maintenance situation

this is probably a decision for the speakers, like orthography design.

   Subjectively I think I prefer digraphs and trigraphs to be alphabetized

as sequences of single characters like th in English--fewer primary letters

to remember the order of.  That would reduce the need for a mnemonic aid

like the footers in the Koyukon dictionary.  Also, from a tree-traversing

point of view, if there are fewer distinct units--fewer possible branches--

searches can be whittled down faster, though the depth would increase a bit.

Still, these are only theoretical speculations and subjective feelings.

   A similar situation occurs when certain segments or distinctions like

voicing or dialectal variation are merged in alphabetization, e.g.,  gh/g,

k/ch, b/m  in Koyukon, or  nh/n, s/z  in Deg Xinag.  Other distinctions are

also commonly merged, like long and short vowels.  Merging also reduces

the number of primary letters, possibly speeding look-up.  It has the

further benefit, when disinctions with low functional load or which are

otherwise easily confused are merged, of simplifying look-up when the user

is not sure of the values (length, voicing, etc.) in the word.

   Apart from ease of use, another issue is whether the phonemic inventory

need be enshrined in the organization of a dictionary designed for language

maintenance, as opposed to a reference dictionary.  (In fact, for the

former, must the orthography itself be phonemically entirely faithful?

The fully phonemic transcription can always be placed in a separate
band.)

   This doesn't answer your original question about digraphs.  But with

on-line dictionaries being practical now, we can have the luxury of

presenting a dictionary in more than one form without worrying about cutting

down more trees.  The one example of this I know is the Marshallese On-line

Dictionary, which is presented in both the original phoneme-by-phoneme order

and "unified" order which merges plain and modified letters:

    www.trussel2.com/MOD

You could do the same with the different treatments of digraphs, and gauge

user preference.  Although looking up a word through an electronic interface

is a different experience from using a book, browsing the electronic

versions should give a feel for the consequences of the different ordering

systems, something impossible to capture in the abstract.

Best wishes,  Bob