[Cadaad] CADAAD2022 Extended Deadline

Laura Filardo-Llamas laura.filardo at uva.es
Tue Dec 21 17:38:26 UTC 2021

*CADAAD2022 Call for Papers *

*DEADLINE EXTENDED!*

We are pleased to announce that the 9^th conference of the *Critical
Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines* (CADAAD), jointly
organized by the University of Bergamo and Birmingham City University,
will take place from 6-8 July 2022 and will be hosted by the University
of Bergamo, Italy.

CADAAD conferences are intended to promote current directions and new
developments in cross-disciplinary critical discourse research from a
critical-analytical perspective, deal with contemporary social,
scientific, political, economic, or professional discourses and genres.
Whilst we hope to receive abstracts across the usual wide range of
topics and approaches, we also invite scholars to present papers and
posters that that engage with this year’s conference theme: *(Critical)
Discourse Analysis and the (new?) normal. *

Norms, normalities, and normativities have undoubtedly been disturbed in
recent years. Though ‘normal’ is a local, subjective, and fluid concept,
norms are fundamental to collective endeavour and social practices and
have important implications for ideology, power, and, of course, the
construction of meaning in discourse. Equally, the destabilisation or
disruption of norms gives rise to contestation over shared social values
and normativities, as well as opportunities to galvanise new ways of
being. The need for contemporary discourses to adjust to rapidly
changing norms makes this an area of particular interest for (critical)
discourse analysis.

*Plenaries*

We are pleased to announce our plenary speakers:

  * Piotr Cap (University of Łódź)
  * Jonathan Charteris-Black (University of West of England)
  * Massimiliano Demata (University of Turin)
  * *TBC:* Frans van Eemeren (University of Amsterdam)
  * Giuliana Garzone (IULM University)
  * Elena Semino (Lancaster University)

*Submission*

CADAAD2022 welcomes paper, poster, and panel proposals that engage in
cross-disciplinary critical discourse research and/or that respond in
some way to the conference theme *Discourse Analysis and the (new?)
normal*. Alongside submissions engaging with *methodological
traditions*/, /*advances in (C)DS* and *the theoretical handling of
‘normativity’ in (C)DS research*, we invite work in discourse analysis
across any discipline to explore topics and perspectives including, but
not limited to:

  * Colonialism
  * Corporate and organisational communication
  * Culture, cultural studies, and cultural promotion
  * Education
  * Environment and environmentalism
  * Extremism and radicalisation
  * Health
  * Identity (gender, sexuality, nationality, ethnicity/race, etc.)
  * News and (social) media analysis
  * Politics
  * (post-)pandemic life - what, if anything, has changed?
  * Protest
  * Queer studies

Abstracts of papers, posters, and panels (details below) should be
submitted via the conference webpage (www.cadaad.info
<http://www.cadaad.info>) by *Friday 21^st January 2022 18:00 CET*.
Abstracts should include research questions, a brief outline of
methodology and analytical methods, and any theoretical issues
addressed, as well describing the data analysed. All papers will be
allocated 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions. The language of the
conference is English.

*Papers*

  * Abstracts: 4000 characters max, incl. title, headings, references,
    and all formatting
  * Paper submissions that are successful should expect to record and
    submit a 20 minute video of their presentation to be uploaded prior
    to the conference
  * If you give your presentation in person, this video will not be made
    available until you have given your presentation

*Posters*

  * Abstracts: 2000 characters max, incl. title, headings, references,
    and all formatting
  * Successful poster presentations should expect to submit a
    high-quality image file (.png, .tiff, .pdf) of their poster prior to
    the conference
  * Posters will be made available at the same time as scheduled poster
    sessions
  * Please ensure that posters contain contact information

*Panels *

Apart from individual submissions,*panel proposals* of three or more
papers with a clear and coherent topic/programme are also welcome. If
you are interested in proposing a panel, please contact the conference
organisers: cadaad.conference at gmail.com__

*Important dates*

  * *Abstract submission:* Friday 17^th December 2021
  * *EXTENDED SUBMISSION DEADLINE: *Friday 21^st January 2022
  * *Notification of acceptance:* Friday 25^th February 2022
  * *Registration:* May 2022
  * *Conference dates:* 06-08 July 2022

If conditions allow, we plan for CADAAD2022 to be held as a *hybrid*
event, including both online and in-person activities. However, if it is
not possible to hold an in-person conference, we will default to *online
only*. All attendees will have the option to register for either *hybrid
*or *online only* attendance.__

*Publication of papers*

Selected papers will be published in a thematically arranged volume to
be submitted to an international publisher. Other selected papers will
appear in a proceedings issue of the /CADAAD journal./

For further information, please visit the conference webpages at
www.CADAAD.info <http://www.CADAAD.info> or write to the local
organising committee at cadaad.conference at gmail.com.