Response to Linnea

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Wed Jun 16 21:04:07 UTC 2004

Noriko,

That's a really interesting example. Clearly, people are able to lie, and
express things they don't believe, even in a poetic/artistic way. We even
take on personas; professional actors can go from playing saints to playing
killers without, presumably, being affected themselves by these roles.

I think maybe the effect of forcing hearers to adopt presuppositions that
require a change of ideology is powerful partly because it involves
subconscious levels.  And if the same presuppositions are used over and
over in a variety of media formats, forming part of the public common
ground, then I can see how they would become natural - not only
unquestioned, but perhaps even unquestionable without another shift in
ideology/context.

Linnea