Chilton Chapter 1 and 2

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Wed Jun 16 21:40:42 UTC 2004

Maybe we can say that all people rely on the CP, but not all to the same
extent.  So some people are more likely to be suspicious, others more
likely to be trusting. Some people's lie detectors are more sensitive than
others'.

Your question about why people can't detect government propaganda is one
that I find personally fascinating.  This probably has both individual and
cultural components; in some cultures gov'ts are considered more
trustworthy than in others.  What is particularly interesting is how people
don't seem to *want* to determine whether their government is being
truthful. Even when presented with a large amount of verified information,
they simply prefer not to think about it.  Perhaps this has to do with the
amount of identification one feels with one's government; if a person has
become convinced that their government acts in their interests, then to
criticize the government is to criticize oneself.

I'd like to hear more about Game Theory... not something I know much about!

Linnea