Chilton Chapter 7: Foreigners

杉森 典子 n_sugimori at YAHOO.CO.JP
Fri Jun 25 19:33:31 UTC 2004

In Chapter 7: Foreigners, Chilton analyzes Enoch Powell, a
maverick Conservative politician's speech in 1968 and the
1994 converation among three young white males who were
suspected of the murder of a young black man in London.
The main theme of these two transcripts is racism against
foreigners, black people in particular.

Chilton argues that legitimising has two types: epistemic
and deontic.

The section "Representation: victims, aggessors and being
right" was the most interesting part for me. Chilton
argues that the conceptual oppositions such as dirty-clean
enter into the formation of social categories.
Legitimising oneself or one's group requires representing
the world in such a way. Thus, if dirt and cleanliness
provide a cognitive schema and contribute to the
construction of an ordered universe, such a scheme can be
viewed both as functioning as representation and
legitimisation.

Thank you for sharing this interesting idea with me. If I
come up with any discussion topic related to this idea, I
will let you know.