Thoughts on Questioning Presidents

Hala Jawlakh jawlakh at UIUC.EDU
Wed Nov 10 04:47:48 UTC 2004

I agree that it's more than looking at just cascades.

I agree that reliability of interpretation is a grave issue.
But maybe it can be controlled a bit by having multiple
raters adn then comparing their judgements for inter and
intra rater reliability.

What bothers me is if you have 5 raters and all agree taht a
specific question Eisenhower is asked is not rude, does that
really make it unrude? Eisnhower was president like a hudred
years ago. I know that a lot of stuff that is considered ok
now would have been considered rude when he was president.
For example, if i was talking to my grandpa and i know that
someone said he messed up X, i don't have to say: Grandpa why
did you mess up X? to be rude. Simply asking what happened
with X might be interpreted as rudeness by my grandfather. 1)
I should not bring up stories about him messing up because
this implies that i am accusing him of messing up.  2) who am
i to question him? as a granddaughter, i have no authority,
no power to question him. (did people think of reporters as
having hte right to put politicians on trial at that time?)

another note is that context was not really taken into
consideration (the context outside the press conferences).

But having said all that, i did love the articcle, especially
how they did a concentrated effort to come up with
quantifiable criterea to measure what's going on. I (hind
sight is 20/20) would fine tune the way the data was rated
(in agreement with linnea) and i would be more comfortable
using their technique to compare for example how Kerry and
Busy were treated than to compare two people with 50 years
inbetween.

Also, linnea, i really appreicate it when you e-mail me the
article, sometimes, it's very difficult for me to find the
reading in time.

hala