Welcome back

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Wed Sep 15 14:52:54 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a good summer, even though our attempts to keep the CDA
reading group going over the summer fizzled out!  The BU group met on 9/13
to plan for the fall semester. We discussed:

Machin, D and VanLeeuwen, T (2003). Global schemas and local discourses in
Cosmopolitan, Journal of Sociolinguistics, 7/4, 493-512.

The next reading will be:

Hale, S. (2002). How faithfully do court interpreters render the style of
non-English speaking witnesses’ testimonies? A data-based study of
Spanish–English bilingual Proceedings. Discourse Studies, Vol 4(1): 25–47.

We decided to try a combination of meeting at BU and discussing online this
semester.  We'll plan to post our thoughts on the above article between now
and Wednesday, 9/29.  We'll meet on the 29th at 12:30 to discuss in person,
and to select the next reading.  If you can't come to BU, please feel free
to make article suggestions to the list!  Perhaps one of us can volunteer to
post notes from our meetings to the list, as well.

Tentatively, we will meet on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month, since
that seems to be the best day for everyone. Rather than reading book
chapters, we thought that reading articles, primarily ones that are
available through online subscriptions, would make the materials more
accessible to a wider range of people.

Linnea