Bourdieu and the journalistic field

John E Richardson johnerichardson at CDS-WEB.NET
Sat Apr 16 18:13:03 UTC 2005

Dear Ani,

I think what you said about anonymity conveying 'truth' is interesting
in relation to dialectical and rhetorical argumentation.
Since Aristotle, it has been widely acknowledged that there are three
rhetorical modes of proof: logos, or persuasion via the argument itself
(given that we believe conclusions that are supported with reasoning);
pathos, or persuasion through the audience (in which the audience is
made to feel a certain way in order to make them more susceptable) and
ethos, that relies on the character of the arguer (given that we more
readily believe someone with knowledge or good character).
Dialectic relies solely on the first of these - logos.

What you seem to be describing in this technical communication is
rhetoric disguised as dialectic: an argumentative discourse genre in
which, while generated by individuals with certain goals (or at least a
certain ideology) in mind, claims to be motivated by a desire for truth
(dialectic) rather than to persuade (rhetoric).
Does this seem a plausible or fruitful avenue to investigate? If so,
then I can recommend some books on argumentation theory (as perhaps can
other list members).

best

john

> Hello all--
>
> This interesting discussion about Bordieu makes me think that perhaps it
> acceptable to ask for ideas about my research. ; ]  So here goes!
>
> I'm also a phd student developing a dissertation-- and I'm working on the
> function of anonymity in technical communication. To me, technical
> communication (technical writing both visual and alphabetic) is a powerful
> conveyer of ideology. Much tech comm is published without notation of
> specific authorship. So, it carries the aura of "Truth" Also, tech comm is
> often produced collaboratively, so authorship and thus accountability
recede
> even further. Such collaboration, focused on project outcome, invest the
> text with whatever ideologies are congruent with company goals, conceal
> identity, and make contradiction fairly impossible.
>
> A few of the texts I'm considering include van Dijk (Ideology), Fairclough
> (Power&Language), Chouliarke&Fairclough (Discourse in Late Modernity)and
> Rorty (Social Hope).
>
> I wonder if anyone on this list might have ideas of other sources to
> consider? Interesting texts to analyze? Functions of passive voice?
Function