post-structuralism

Cícero Barbosa cicerobarbosa at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 14 23:13:04 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues,

Like my former message could show, I am deeply interested in learning
more about poststructuralism. There is now one thing I would like to
discuss with you. Here goes a thought of mine, over which I have been
in a struggle in order to find some answers:

I consider Fairclough's theory structuralist. And he offers a method
of discourse analysis. How, then, could I  (as I've read in many
academic research in linguistics) use a method of Fairclough's and, as
an underpinning theory, a poststructuralist theory like Foucault's
view of discourse and a poststructuralist theory of subjectivity? I
hope you can understand what I mean. Can Fairclough's method go along
with poststructuralist theories? Wouldn't it be a kind of incoherence?

I do hope I could get some answers. Thank you all so much,

Cícero