Chouliaraki (2000)

杉森 典子 n_sugimori at YAHOO.CO.JP
Wed Feb 23 18:23:52 UTC 2005

About Chouliaraki (2000)

Based on analyses of extracts of actual news broadcasts,
Chouliaraki attempted to see what forms constitute the
media
’s contribution to political discourse and democratic
practices. Chouliaraki stated there is a need to relate
abstract theory with empirical research.

Because my understanding of social theories is still in
its infancy, I was not sure whether my understanding is
right of the social theories Chouliaraki explained in her
article. Specifically, I was not certain whether my
understanding of Thompson
’s “deliberative democracy” is correct. Therefore I
tried to locate Thompson
’s book, “The Media and Modernity” (1995), but the book
was not readily available.

I know locating the original is always the right approach.
I have read originals by Foucalt, Anderson, Giddens, and
others. Still, Fairclough
’s book, “Analyzing Discourse: Textual Analysis for
Social Research
” (2003) is also helpful because it contains a glossary
of key theorists. Fairclough
’s glossary listed key theorists, such as Bakhtin,
Bourdieu, and Halliday, but J. Thompson is not one of
them. I desperately need a book like
“Social Theories 101.” Any recommendations?

Noriko Sugimori
20 Chestnut Street #204, Cambridge, MA 02139
tel & fax 617-494-6497
杉森典子
〒939-8051 富山市大泉中部123 秋本方
tel & fax 076-421-1337