Proposed CDA readings

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Sun Jan 9 00:19:39 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

Here's a possible list of readings for this semester - I think everything is
available electronically except for the last article.  Let me know if you
have any changes/substitutions.

There are 2 articles per month; we can discuss the first article listed the
first 1/2 of each month, and the second article the second 1/2.  (If we
manage to keep up!)

JANUARY
Richardson, J. (forthcoming). On delineating ‘reasonable’ and ‘unreasonable’
criticisms of Muslims.  In Allen & Birt (eds.)  New Approaches to
Islamophobia. Leicester: Markfield

FEBRUARY
Scheur, Jann.  (2003). Habitus as the principle for social practice: A
porposal for critical discourse analysis.  Language in Society 32, 143-175
(2003)

Chouliaraki, L. (2000). Political Discourse in the News: Democratizing
Responsibility or Aestheticizing Politics. Discourse & Society, 11(3), 293-314.

MARCH
Greenberg, J. (2002). Framing and Temporality in Political Cartoons: A
Critical Analysis of Visual News Discourse. Canadian Review of Sociology and
Anthropology-Revue Canadienne de Sociologie et D Anthropologie, 39(2), 181-198.

Kitis, E., & Milapides, M. (1997). Read It and Believe It: How Metaphor
Constructs Ideology in News Discourse: A Case-Study. Journal of Pragmatics,
28(5), 557-590.

APRIL
Teo, P. (2000). Racism in the News: A Critical Discourse Analysis of News
Reporting in 2 Australian Newspapers. Discourse & Society, 11(1), 7-49.

Halmari, H., & Ostman, J. O. (2001). The Soft-Spoken, Angelic Pickax Killer:
The Notion of Discourse Pattern in Controversial News Reporting. Journal of
Pragmatics, 33(6), 805-823.

MAY
Sleurs, K., Geert Jacobs, and Luuk Van Waes (2003). Constructing press
releases, constructing quotations: A case study.  Journal of
Sociolingusitics 7/2, :192-212

Altheide, D. L., & Michalowski, R. S. (1999). Fear in the news: A discourse
of control. Sociological Quarterly, 40(3), 475-503.

I'll send out the Richardson chapter to everyone who contacted me
individually; I don't want to post it to the listserv.

Linnea