Richardson's article

杉森 典子 n_sugimori at YAHOO.CO.JP
Thu Jan 27 06:17:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I agree with Linnea in her idea about intergroup
comparisions.

Although it may not be directly related to the points
Linnea made, Richardson's articles contained many
interesting and
thought-provoking quotes.

In regard to the theory of reasonableness in
argumentation, Richardson quoted the following statement
by van Eemeren, Garssen & Meuffeare on their
pragma-dialectical theory:

Argumentation is seen as part of a procedure aimed at
resolving a difference of opinion concerning the
acceptability of a view or a standpoint. The moves made by
the protagonist of the standpoint and those made by
– or ascribed to – the real or imaginary
anatagonist in the discourse are regarded reasonable only
if they can be considered as a contribution to the
resolution of the difference of opinion. [. . .] In order
to comply with the dialectical norms of reasonableness [
…] the speech acts performed in the discourse hve to be
in agreement with the rules for critical discussion (Van
Eemeren, Garseen & Meuffels, 2003: 275)

I wonder if the underlying assumption of this quote is
that both sides, if applied to the cases of religions,
should be regarded as equal. I can read this quote more
comfortably if phrased
‘reduction of the difference’ rather than ‘resolution
of the difference.
’

Richardson cites Eemere & Grootendorst’s ten norms to be
observed for resolving the difference. When I read this
first, I thought that this is a good idea if it is applied
to Christianity and Islam. But I also wondered if these
rules are also applicable to some other small-scaled
religions or religious sects. To defend or attack a
standpoint, deep knowledge of the religion in question is
a must. If the contents of the religion are not open, how
can we defend the religion? Are we obliged to rely on
published data?

Lastly Richardson writes, “when essentialisation and
stratification appear in combination, the result will
necessarily be prejudiced.
”  Do you think that this statement is considered to be a
matter of course or true?

Best,

Noirko