Language, racist power & a possible future reading

Linnea Micciulla lmicciulla at COMCAST.NET
Wed Jul 27 14:57:49 UTC 2005

Hi John and everyone,

This is the first I've heard of this use of linguistic analysis.  I
would certainly be interested in hearing more about it - based on the
link you sent, at a minimum this appears to be a convenient way to
formalize/legitimize discrimination against asylum seekers not just by
nationality but specifically by social class.

I tried to track down the article cited in International Journal of
Speech, Language and the Law: Forensic Linguistics, vol. 11 no. 2
(2004), but the journal's homepage is evidently out of date; they list
vol 11 no 1 as the current issue. Were you able to get hold of the article?

Peter Patrick's Linguistic Human Rights page
(http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/lhr/lhrasylum.htm) has a link
to the full text of the guidelines, and provides a case study along with
other relevant information.

Linnea