headlines

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Mon Jun 6 02:06:21 UTC 2005

More thoughts on headlines...

The ideological nature of news discourse processes occurs not just at the
level of (headline) space, but also in terms of discourse "habits". Certain
perspectives are "marked" and would sound unnatural in headlines, because
they are so unusual and go against the larger underlying (default) ideology
that readers may be completely unaware of.  For example, it takes more space
to write:
"9 Protesters Killed"
than
"Police Kill 9"
However, the second seems odd, and much less likely to appear as a headline.
I would say that this does not necessarily reflect the journalist's
ideology, the sub's ideology or even the corporate ideology of the
newspaper.  The first version, with "police" as agent omitted, is the
unmarked form, and as such will probably be used whether the writer believes
the police are the more relevant participant or not.

If the writer uses the marked form, he takes an overt ideological position.
There are, of course, writers who do this, but it's risky, since the news is
supposed to appear ideologically neutral (ie. unmarked).

What is even more interesting for me than the intent of the writer is the
effect on the readers.  I've been reading "Critical Discourse Analysis and
Language Cognition" (by Kieran O'Halloran, 2003), which I would highly
recommend, although (or maybe because?) he is critical of some assuptions of
CDA.  He draws on psycholinguistic research to discuss what types of
inferences a naive reader is likely to generate, assuming the reader is
engaged in shallow processing of the text.  I think this is one good
approach for analyzing headlines, since many (most?) readers skim newspaper
headlines rather than reading all of the articles.

John, I would love to hear more about your current research.

Linnea